You’ll find some of the most beautiful scenery in the Northwest on these Hood River hikes. The town of Hood River is right in the heart of the Columbia River Gorge. It’s a little pocket of urban activity with a backdrop of the Cascade Mountains on the shoreline of the Columbia River.
There are trailheads to these Hood River hikes within minutes from the downtown area. Many are accessible for hikers of all levels of experience, but for those professional thrill seekers you’ll find some difficult, elevated climbs too. Whatever your hiking proficiency, you’ll be surrounded by lush woods, waterfalls and impressive mountain views.
Hood River is an outdoor lovers dream escape from the city and our Hood River lodging is a fantastic location in relation to Hood River hikes, water activities, restaurants and breweries. It’s always important to know ahead of time where your post-hike beer will happen. When you stay with us you’ll love coming back to your elegant suite after an exhilarating day on one of these Hood River hikes. Start planning and book with us today!
8 Fantastic Hood River Hikes to Check Out This Spring
Strap on your best pair of hiking boots and load up your back pack for these Hood River hikes. Here we’ll give you a starters guide to 8 hikes in the area that will not disappoint, but there really are so many beautiful hiking options to choose from that you really can’t go wrong.
- Multnomah Falls: This waterfall is one of the most popular landmarks in the Pacific Northwest—more than 2 million people come to visit each year. It helps that it’s super accessible and can be seen with minimal hiking, If you start here, there are many more hikes to follow further up and into the forest.
- Horsetail Falls and Trail: Located in the “waterfall corridor” this trailhead is just under 3 miles from Multnomah Falls. It’s a fairly steep and difficult climb to the upper Horestail Falls. This can connect you to other trail options for a longer hikes and for more challenging climbs.
- Shoreline Trail: This trail is just under 5 miles and takes you directly along the shore of the Columbia River in downtown Hood River. This is one of the local Hood River hikes that is within walking distance from our Inn, pack a picnic and some sandals and enjoy the beauty of Waterfront Park and the Marina.
- Indian Creek Trail: When you stay at our Inn, this trail is super close to home base. It’s an easy wooded hike, just over three miles with glimpses of the creek throughout. This hike is ideal for a leisurely outing nearby.
- Lost Lake Loop: This scenic 3 mile trail around the lake is rated easy, flat and family-friendly. There are stunning views of Mount Hood and it’s accessible to the lakeshore for wading and exploring.
- McNeil Point Trail: This is noted as one of the more difficult Hood River hikes in the Mount Hood National Forest. Clocking in at just under 10 miles, this trail is known for stunning views of Mount Hood and Conifer forests.
- Old Salmon River Trail: This is another hike in the Mount Hood National Forest, but rated as an easy stroll for all hikers. It’s just over 2 miles along the riverside with red cedars and small sandy beaches.
- Historic Columbia River Highway State Trail: This trail spans a 12-mile stretch of the old Highway 30 in three disconnected segments of paved paths. The Twin Tunnels leg is a 4.5 mile stretch connecting Hood River to the small town of Mosier and takes you through two restored highway tunnels.
The Best Lodging after Exploring these Hood River Hikes
The Inn at the Gorge is a perfect location for all kinds of outdoor recreation, including spending a day (or many days) out on these Hood River hikes. Our Inn has extra storage areas for all your outdoor gear, a backyard hot tub for your tired muscles and cozy guest rooms for relaxation.
At our Hood River lodging, we’re still taking every precaution to keep our guests and staff safe, read more about our protocols here. Our tastefully modern, light-filled guest rooms are private with high-end amenities, many have direct access to our garden area and their own kitchenettes. Book your room today; we can’t wait to host you!