One of the little pleasures on a trip to this part of Oregon is fresh Hood River cherries. July is the best time to find Hood River cherries and many local farms offer U-pick opportunities, as well as local goods and products made with this amazing fruit. You’ll find this flavorful ingredient all around town on the restaurants seasonal menus, but there’s something super special about heading out to the countryside and picking your own from one of the orchards.
The Hood River Cherry Company grows seven varieties of cherries. You’ll find the big names like Bing and Rainier, but also some lesser know varietals such as the Sweetheart and Lapin cherries. The harvest window is July 1st-August 7th. The elevations of this Hood River farm prolongs the season for a bit and produces large and juicy Hood River cherries. Small fun fact, the first tree planted at the Hood River Cherry Company was in 1993.
Once in Hood River, you’ll see that the outlying areas have an abundance of farm land, which brings such beautiful produce and products into our little town. At our Hood River Inn, we love to incorporate Hood River Cherries and other seasonal ingredients whenever we can. Our your stay with us, you’ll truly get a taste of the northwest! Start planning your next adventure to Hood River and book your room today!
Where to Find the Best Hood River Cherries
A trip to Hood River in July just wouldn’t be complete without heading out to the farms to pick Hood River cherries. When the first of these tasty morsels start to ripen, it’s almost like a celebration in the area. You’ll find lots of farm stands and U-pick options, and you might as well stop off at one of our amazing Hood River wineries while you’re out on the cherry hunt.
Here are five places to find fresh Hood River Cherries:
- Hood River Cherry Company: This local family-owned and operated farm has been growing their high-elevation Hood River cherries since 1996. They offer seven varieties of cherries, as well as homemade cherry preserves.
- Draper Girls Country Farm: Established in 1962, this is a great spot for U-pick Hood River cherries, as well as apples, pears, nectarines, and lots of berry varieties. At the fruit stand you’ll find preserves, honey, and their famous pasteurized apple cider.
- Packer Orchards and Farm Place: This farm and orchards is open seasonally for U-pick fresh fruit of all kinds. Plus you’ll find all sorts of goodies in the barn, from jams and honeys, to baked goods and pie filling.
- Hood River U-Pick Organic: You’ll begin to see ripe Hood River cherries at this location at the end of June. Head here to pick your own and pack a picnic blanket and snacks for a lovely afternoon spent on the farm.
- Kiyokawa Family Orchards: This long time fruit orchard has been growing beautiful produce since 1911. Every weekend in July, you’ll have the opportunity to pick your own Rainier, Lapin, and Blackpearl cherries.
More to Discover on the Hood River Fruit Loop
You’ll find just under 30 vendors connected to the Hood River Fruit Loop Trail. Weaving through the Hood River Valley at the foot of Mount Hood, the trail is about 35 miles of scenic roads through the farmland and countryside. On the Hood River Fruit Loop, you’ll find farm stands with amazing selections of fruits and vegetables. There’s no shortage of flowers too! Also, add a visit to the wineries or cideries to your itinerary.
Most wineries are open year-round, but there are a few notable spots not to miss! Marchesi Vineyards is known for growing Italian varietals, as a guest you can taste these Oregon grown wines on their beautiful outdoor patio. Cathedral Ridge Winery offers fun tasting experiences in their vineyard. For a particularly relaxing stop, hit Wy’East Vineyards for wine-tasting, bocce ball, and picnic lunch.
Come Relax and Reset at Our Hood River Bed and Breakfast
When you’ve had your fill of Hood River cherries and produce from the farm stands on the Hood River Fruit Loop Trail, join us back at the Inn at the Gorge for a relaxing stay. Our six guest suites offer an array of configurations for any kind of getaway, whether for a family vacation or a romantic stay for two. All rooms are modern with classic comfort appointments, some are equipped with kitchenettes and private outdoor space.
For a special intimate stay, the Terrace Room is bright and breezy, immaculately remodeled for an elegant stay, with direct access via stylish French doors to a semi-private outdoor patio. Romance will be inevitable when you pick this room for your special getaway. Especially after a quiet soak in our backyard hot tub (Champagne encouraged)! Start planning today and book your next vacation in Hood River with us!