Mount Hood isn’t just a landmark in Oregon; it’s an iconic monument to nature lovers, extreme sports junkies, and outdoor enthusiasts. Its likeness graces labels for local breweries, distilleries, and outerwear companies. Mount Hood Meadows is one of four ski resorts on our beloved mountain for skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, and lessons. Thankfully, Mt. Hood receives a massive amount of snowfall each year, on average between 400 to 550 inches.
Mount Hood Meadows is located on the southeastern face of Mt. Hood and is the largest ski resort on the mountain. You’ll find 87 trails spanning 2,150 skiable acres, with a mix of skill levels from beginner to expert. The other three resorts are Timberline Lodge and Ski area for the highest slopes, Hood River Skibowl known for its night skiing runs, and the family-friendly resort Cooper Spur Ski Area.
As you plan your ski getaway to Mt. Hood Meadows, staying in Hood River is the best place for lodging. Our premium Hood River Bed and Breakfast, Inn at the Gorge, is only 35 miles from Mount Hood Meadows. We’re right in the heart of the very walkable downtown Hood River, close to breweries, restaurants, and hiking trails. We also have extra storage available for all of your ski gear! Get your next ski trip to Mount Hood Meadows on the calendar and book your suite today!
Check out Mount Hood Meadows and More this Winter
As we said above, there are four unique ski areas on Mount Hood. This area is a popular ski destination, only 50 miles from Portland and 35 miles from Hood River. The ski areas range from larger destination resorts to smaller, charming choices aimed at family-friendly activities.
- Mount Hood Meadows: As the largest ski resort on Mt. Hood, this destination sees the most skiers and snowboarders each year on the 2,150 acres, 11 lifts, and 87 trails—the longest ski run is three miles. They also offer 140 acres for night skiing, a popular pastime before calling it a day and heading back to the Inn.
- Timberline Lodge: This Mt. Hood ski area has more than 4,500 vertical feet, which is the most of any resort in the US. The terrain parks are a big draw here; they have served as a testing ground for new freestyle obstacles and rails used worldwide. Timberline is also open ten months out of the year for one of the longest seasons for skiing and snowboarding.
- Hood River Skibowl: On 960 acres of terrain, you’ll find 69 runs, 36 of which are fully lit for night skiing. The runs vary from steep black diamond to gentle groomers for skiers of all skill levels. Are you looking for a more relaxed adventure? Check out Mt. Hood’s only conveyor-assisted tube hill—fun for the whole family!
- Cooper Spur Ski Area: This area is quaint and idyllic for family-friendly skiing and fun in the snow. For those just starting out, there are 50 acres of beginner and intermediate runs. Cooper Spur is a popular cross-country ski and snowshoe destination, with four miles of diverse trails beginning at the Nordic Center.
- Sahale at Mt. Hood Meadows: Recently opened in October of 2021, Sahale is a much-needed addition to the Mount Hood Meadows ski resort. The 24000 square foot lodge space includes equipment rentals and the Meadows learning center on the first floor. The second-floor houses two restaurants and a slope-side bar with ample indoor and outdoor seating areas. Local microbrews on tab, outdoor tables equipped with firepits, and incredible views are just the start.
Warm-up at Our Hood River Bed and Breakfast this Winter
After a day on the slopes at Mount Hood Meadows, our Hood River Inn is the coziest and most welcoming place to rest your tired muscles. Our six spacious guest rooms and suites offer comfortable king or queen beds, clawfoot tubs for warm bubble baths or updated showers, and all with picturesque garden views. One of the best places to end your day of skiing is in our seven-person backyard hot tub, crack a bottle of wine, relax, and look at the stars.
Our excellent staff is always happy to help with reservations or plans for your time in Hood River. Check out our list of the best things to do in Hood River on your vacation. From the minute you arrive, you’ll see why we’re known for our friendly and personable hospitality. Join us this winter for skiing and relaxing in Hood River. Book today!